Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Good Night Poems


Facebook has been an occasional source of humor, which I have enjoyed writing and passing along through this blog as well. Today it has become a cause for concern. I wrote to myself and answered myself as well. And there in a public forum with as many as 300 possible witnesses. Can insanity be far behind? Sounds like a good lead for posting some limericks.

     There once was a man in a rage
          Who tore from his book every page.
            When he calmed down again
He killed his fat hen,
             And had chicken for dinner with sage.


When I read a good poem (and that limerick is my favorite of all time) I am inspired to write another, and this is no exception. Forgive my conceit — but it still remains my favorite after all these years. Between the time I wrote the next poem and before I could publish it here I had to break for something that rhymes with smack. May it not have the same effect on you.

                                    My fat cells are begging for food.
                                    What I tell them does me no good.
                                          "Why try?"
                                          Says I
                                    As I fill my stomach with food.


Sometimes everything that needs to be said will not fit into five lines. The next poem is not a limerick, though it begins in the limerick style. It has been titled, limericks often are not.

The Balloon Man


                                    There once was an old man of Whale
                                    Whose face grew increasingly pale.
                                    When he saw the light
                                    Of his terrible plight
                                    That ensued him one night
                                    When the wind blew him away in a gale.

Have you ever fallen asleep reading a bed-time story to a child? I just fell asleep posting this blog! Almost broke my neck!! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment