Monday, July 6, 2009


It Will Never Happen That Way

                       Someone once said, “When the sky is red
                       By the morning light,you can sail to your heart’s delight.”
                       But maybe I got it just backward.
                       No matter, though, I slept in, so
                       I never saw.

                       When I go to the sea, the waves should be
                       Enough of a warning for me.
                       I'll sail away now, I'll state my vow:
                       That noon is morning for me,
                       So I went.

                       I sailed away on that fateful day
                       Without even checking the weather.
                       In my dinghy, small, I met with a squall.
                       Alas! I turned back to the harbor
                       Too late.

                       I had come too far to regain the bar,
                       And my dinghy was taking on water.
                       So I started to bail, but forgot my pail.
                       I used my shoe for a starter,
                       Then my hat.

                       When my hat went flat
                       I was sure I could never recover.
                       I was going down, going to drown
                       For certain, I soon would discover;
                       I awoke.

                       I had dreamed; so real it seemed,
                       With cold sweat I still drip.
                       Now I’ll never go in a boat so slow
                       It cannot regain its slip,
                       Never again.

                       When a storm arises and me it surprises,
                       With power my boat be supplied.
                       I want out of there, to get somewhere,
                       Anywhere to be revived,
                       And be safe.

                       Beach it on sand, where I can get out on dry land,
                       It’s power for me as you can see;
                       But when sailing you go, I want you to know,
                       Regardless, whatever I say,
                       Take me anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment