Friday, November 6, 2009

T.G.I.F.


Answers to last Friday's Quiz: Elvis Presley and Hank Williams
The rest of T.G.I.F. will post with this Friday's Quiz tonight.

I enjoyed the day at Lady of the Lakes Renaissance Faire. It felt good to get home where I could sit in comfort. No need to go for a walk after trudging around for four hours!


Quotable and the Not So Quotable Quotes

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil. " ~ C. S. Lewis

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Sir Winston Churchill and C. S. Lewis were contemporaries. They could not have helped knowing of one another. I wonder if they ever met, and how they would have related to one another.


Humor

Saint Peter was watching a woman come up to the Pearly Gates. She would take only a few steps, and then look around in amazement. When she came within speaking distance she said, “Everything is so much better than anyone ever said it would be.”

“That’s what everyone says,” Peter said. “‘Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love Him.’ Now there is only one question you need to answer correctly and you can go in. How do you spell “love”?

“Oh, that’s easy,” she said. “L.O.V.E. Why do you pick such an easy word?”

“Because some people spell it, ‘J.E.S.U.S.’ and they not only get in, they get to eat at His table. But you can eat with me at my table.”

About three years later, the subject of being too impulsive was being discussed at the dinner table. She admitted that she had been that way in life, but really wanted to change.

“Guarding the gates has really helped me change.” Peter admitted. “I’m long overdue for a vacation. Will you guard the gates for me while I’m gone and practice being less impulsive?”

So she agreed and the next morning, the first person she saw was the husband she had left behind on earth. She smiled and waved, and he returned the greeting. When he was close enough to talk she asked, “What have you been doing these 3 years without me? I used to do everything for you before I got sick.”

“Well, I’ve managed to get by O.K.,” he said. “You remember that cute little nurse that took care of you, right? Well, we got married, and just a few weeks after the funeral, we won the Powerball Lottery. We both quit our jobs, and we have been world travelers ever since. In fact, we were skiing in the Swiss Alps, when I lost my balance, and went flying through the air. I don’t even remember landing. I just woke up and here I was. What do we do next?”

"Just answer two questions correctly and you can go in," she replied. "Did you learn any foreign words or phrases while traveling?"

"No, should I have?" he asked.

"That's O.K." she said. "Now spell 'arrivederci'."





No comments:

Post a Comment